So for quite awhile now, as some you may know, I've been laboring long hours into the night, avoiding phone calls, not returning text messages and disappearing for days on end- the reason being that I'm writing a book (actually, a series of them).
"Good luck with that," you probably say. And you're right to dismiss it.
Yes it was probably a terrible idea to ever even start. It's rare these days to get published (and even more rare to have any success), so considering the odds I'm probably wasting my time. Probably.
But...
I love to write, and I believe the story itself is more than worth the struggle.
So now onto what the hell I've got myself involved in.
Above is a poster called "Respite." In 2005, I came across this in some random small town shop in Vermont and thought it was dark and fantastic, so I bought it immediately. It ended up on the wall behind my desk. At some point in time, this poster sparked an idea for a story.
That original concept is now a distant memory, but what it's grown into is a project far bigger than anything I've ever taken on before. The initial idea became a two page outline, that outline became dozens and dozens of documents and research and sketches and maps, and today all of those files take up nearly a quarter of a gig on my laptop.
The series has become known (at least to me) as the Pendulum Tide. It's a story about fate and balance and our never-ending struggle against the universe's tides. It's a dark, epic-style fantasy with elements of mystery, suspense, horror, wonder and humor. The first book in the series I've tentatively titled "The Darkness".
A quick timeline:
In 2010, after two years of tirelessly picking apart why I thought it was terrible, I started again.
In early 2012, shockingly, I actually finished an entire first draft of Book 1.
Finally, I'd like to take a personal second and thank everyone who's been helpful and supportive during this process. This has absolutely been the most difficult and stressful project of my life. I started this blog to keep any interested parties up to date with all the happenings, and hopefully soon I'll have some tangible pages to share.
For now... back to work and thanks for reading.


good luck dude, sounds interesting. -romo
ReplyDeleteI'm intrigued. Can't wait to read it!
ReplyDeleteawesome buddy.
ReplyDelete- Mr. Anderson
Wait, you're writing a book? =D. Obviously I know this and I am eagerly awaiting the next chapter.
ReplyDelete